April 14, 2018
Walleye victorious in Game 1 double overtime thriller
(Toledo, OH) – Tyler Barnes scored 1:33 into double overtime as the Walleye defeated the Fuel 4-3 on Friday night in Toledo and won Game 1 of the series. Christian Hilbrich scored twice and Tyler Barnes picked up three points, while Pat Nagle stopped 43 of 46 shots and is 1-0-0 in postseason play. The Walleye are 1-0-0 in postseason play and 1-0-0 at home.
Christian Hilbrich tipped a shot from Connor Crisp past Fuel goaltender, Etienne Marcoux, to put the Walleye up 1-0 at 9:27 of the first period. Indy tied the game 1-1 at 11:17 of the frame with a shot that beat Nagle.
Hilbrich scored his second of the game at 5:26 of the second period on the power play by tipping in the rebound of Tyler Barnes’ shot to make it 2-1 Walleye.
Kyle Bonis slammed his shot into the back of the net at 2:58 of the final period to extend the Walleye lead to 3-1. Former Walleye forward, Josh Shalla, found the back of the net at 4:25 of the frame to pull the Fuel within a goal. The Fuel would tie the game 3-3 at 11:48 of the third.
The first overtime saw no score from either team with Toledo putting up 12 shots to be turned aside by Marcoux, while Nagle turned aside all 11 shots he faced.
Bonis set up Tyler Barnes, who found the back of the net 1:33 into double overtime to give the Walleye the 4-3 win.
- The Walleye were victorious in Game 1 and lead the series 1-0-0. Game 2 is set for Sunday with a 5:15 p.m. puck drop.
- Nagle stopped 43 of 46 shots and is 1-0-0 in postseason play.
- Kyle Bonis led Toledo against Indy in the regular season with 11 points (4G, 7A).
- Tonight’s jersey raffle for the Humboldt Broncos raised $6,040 and with a contribution from Walleye Wishing Well, we will be donating $10,000 to the Broncos.
- Toledo is 23-2-1 all-time vs. Indy.